Tuesday 22 June 2010

An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for system.serviceModel/bindings

Suddenly I got a problem when trying to access a web service,
the problem only occurred on my PC that has "Vista SP1 x64"
operating system, my workmates hasn't this problem at all, this is the exception
string appeared:


System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
'my internal class name' threw an exception. --->
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred creating
the configuration section handler for system.serviceModel/bindings: Could not
load type
'System.Security.Authentication.ExtendedProtection.Configuration.ExtendedProtectionPolicyElement'
from assembly 'System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
(D:\Projects\Hajj1431\Sources\Desktop\Hajj\bin\Release\Hajj.exe.Config line 38)
---> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type
'System.Security.Authentication.ExtendedProtection.Configuration.ExtendedProtectionPolicyElement'
from assembly 'System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.


I googled and found some thing similar

here
,

here
,

here
and

here
. All of them points to a corrupted windows update with code KB982168, I
spend long time searching about KB982168 or any thing similar but nothing. Where
all of the previous threads were talking about Win2003 and WinXP updates.


I tried to restore my operating system to old date but Windows
Restore was disabled by group policy created by Domain Admin.


I tried to go deep in the problem to find which assembly cause
the problem but it seems it is some thing larger than a single assembly.


After long time of try and error I reached a solution by
installing Vista Service Pack 2.


Where, I noticed that Microsoft announced it will not support
Vista without SP2, so, I realized that any update my not work properly without
SP2, again searching, I found x64 version of mentioned SP2, it takes an hour to
download and another hour or more to install, but finally web-services is back
to work again.


Thanks god ...


Service Pack 2 (KB948465):



It is 745MB size and can be downloaded from this link:


http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8ad69826-03d4-488c-8f26-074800c55bc3&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

No comments:

Post a Comment